The second game of the season sees the Eagles hosting the in form team Bishops Stortford who opened their campaign by scoring 10 goals. The pre-match message from the manager was to push on from their second half performance last week and be confident. Although Eagles lost one key player in the transfer window to a so called bigger club they certainly did some good business bringing in 2 club record signings in Rhiannon & Orlagh to bolster an already very strong squad (unlike a certain Mr Wenger), that coupled with the return of last season’s top scorer Elle who is back from injury the Eagles camp feel they are ready for today’s challenge. The only omission from the team today is Megan who is away on international duty and Louise (Chopper) Phillips who is side lined with a long term injury and the club wishes her a speedy recovery. The game kicks off and Letchworth are the team that starts the strongest spending the majority of the first 10 minutes in Stortford’s half then Stortford start to get into the game and pile on the pressure but the Girls defend from front to back valiantly and against the run of play we break and nearly go 1 nil up from Em’s shot but it gets deflected off the Stortford goal line. Despite all the girls working very hard Stortford break through on 26 minutes and score but the girls show no sign of rolling over and keep battling.
Half time 1-0 Stortford
The half time message is to keep doing the same, challenge, be first, pass, break quickly, defend well and enjoy. Second half kicks off and again we start well still creating chances and we look like we are going to get back into the game then after 20 minutes Stortford get a second, by now the searing 22 degree heat starts to take its toll on the girls with the legs getting heavier and heavier due to the tremendous effort they have all put in and playing with the hearts of lions. The last 5 minutes see’s Stortford score another 3, the final whistle goes and Bishops Stortford win 5 nil.
There are a few rumblings from the home supporters who are a bit disappointed that after 2 games we have yet to record a point and it seems that the manager is under pressure to get results or face being the first to be sacked this season. Following the game a press conference was held and the manager has stated that he has the best team he could wish for and as long he has the support of the dressing room (which he does) he will carry on regardless. A quote from the teams chairman “Kirsty Bush” says the board fully backs the manager and will not be looking for a replacement.
- Lauren: Quick off her line and a very brave 1v1 also dealt with crosses and corners well.
- Orlagh: Some great saves good distribution and communicated well with the defence.
- Francesca: Worked tirelessly and great positioning with good support going forward.
- Tasmin: Unsung hero today, strong commanding and a great leader.
- Hazel: A class performance, despite being 6 inches shorter than the opposition she played like she was 6 inches taller.
- Paige (smiler): Carrying an injury played with pace and conviction and put in some vital tackles.
- Louise: Quick and provided great support for both defence and attack.
- Leah & Rhiannon: A midfield force to trouble any team, tireless work from end to end with quality distribution.
- Emilie: Flare skill and creates something out of nothing she had some good chances and should have been rewarded with a goal.
- Ashleigh: worked tirelessly chased down everything and caused the Stortford defence big problems.
- Elle: Great first game back looked a threat on every attack and will get sharper every game.
- Player of the day: Hazel
- Crowd: Just under capacity 46
- Assistant Referee: Ian King